A PLEASURE TO HOLD
When we see a tamper in a Barista's hand we know the significance. It is the tool that a barista uses most often. The tamper translates the Barista's skill of craft into the resulting shot. Its is a tool of assumed simplicity with substantial purpose.
The Thoroughgood takes on a classic tamper shape then evolves to solve ergonomic and aesthetic challenges of many traditional tampers. The wood to metal joint is perfectly smooth and a pleasure for your thumb to rest on. The Stainless steel base is precisely machined manually to accomplish some of the industry's tightest tolerances (+/-0.002 inches). To help achieve an even and ideal extraction our stock tamper base diameter size is 58.3 mm
- 58mm Tamper - Actual Diameter 58.30mm (2.295inches) - Designed for use with precision baskets
- Different Base Sizes Available by Special Order Request
- Handcrafted in the USA
- A beautiful selection of woods: Hard Maple, Cherry, Walnut
- Precision engineered to +/- .002"
- Brass wear ring and stainless steel locking pin
- Size customizable, on request
- Custom engraving available on request
- Grip the tamper comfortably, with the handle sitting in the hollow of your palm (as you would grab a door knob) and the shaft of the tamper handle aligned as an extension of your forearm. There’s no need to grip the tamper very tight. Hold it loosely and comfortably, keeping your wrist neutral.
- Rest the portafilter level on the counter (preferably on a tamping mat so as to not damage the portafilter or the surface). Keeping the tamper level, slowly lower it onto the bed of coffee and press the tamper into the table just until you feel the table pressing back at you. That’s it! There’s no need for a twist of the tamper or for a second tamp. Also, don’t worry if you are pressing hard enough or not. It is better to press consistently and level than to press as hard as you can.
st. st antony anton anthon tamper america american ergonomic ergo erg