MADE FOR SIPPING AND SLURPING
Umeshiso cupping spoons are more than just beautiful and colourful. Founded by Umeko Motoyoshi, Umeshiso promotes coffee education, inclusion and community for under represented members of the coffee community, celebrating women, femmes, nonbinary and trans folks, BIPoC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), and allies.
Umeshiso has two styles of cupping spoon: the Big Dipper and the Little Dipper. The Big Dipper is longer and lighter weight with a wider, flatter bowl. It has dual functionality and works great for both skimming and slurping. The Big Dipper is available in a number of colourways:
- Gold: Cause you're my golden hour, the color of my sky. This classic gold finish goes with everything and pops beautifully on the cupping table. And you know everything's gonna be all right.
- Black: Slurp black coffee with an even blacker spoon. Be infinite, like the night, like the cosmos. This pitch-black cupping spoon is perfect for vampires, witches, Posh Spice, Johnny Cash, emo-identified individuals, and of course goths.
- Rose Gold: Stay rosy with your very own rose gold-plated, stainless steel cupping spoon! This beautiful finish looks like sunsets and stonefruit.
Rainbow: "I've always had a fraught relationship with cupping. (Being corrected on tasting notes, embarrassed, not knowing what bergamot tastes like). So I wanted rainbow cupping spoons, to disarm something that scared me. It reminds me that I can be myself - femme, queer, biracial, sensitive - and also do my job and taste coffee. All those things are possible at once! In Feb of 2018, I started the Rainbow Spoon project. I mailed out a rainbow spoon, for free, to anyone who asked. To rad, amazing women, femmes & nb folks, and our allies. After sending out 75 spoons, I unfortunately was no longer able to provide them for free! (As the spoons were paid for out of pocket). Thank you for sharing this journey with me. I think we’re all in this together, cupping the rainbow."
And yes, these cupping spoons are also perfect for ice cream, cereal, soup, and anything else you can eat with a spoon!
Check out more of what Umeko is up to on the Umesisho blog and at Wasting Coffee
- Available in Gold, Black, Rose Gold or Rainbow colourways
- Weight: 45g (1.5oz)
- Handle Length: 14cm (5.5in)
- Bowl Diameter: 5cm (2in)
- Bowl Depth: 0.6cm (0.25in)
What is cupping? It’s a way to evaluate coffee quality. Cupping is favored by coffee professionals because it’s an easy way to taste multiple coffees at once. But anyone can do it!
If you'd like to cup at home, you just need one or more coffees, a cupping spoon, and a few uniform-size cups in the 6- to 8-oz range.
Add 12 grams of ground coffee to each cup and pour hot water directly onto the grounds, filling the cup all the way to the top. An aromatic crust of coffee grounds will form on the surface. After four minutes, break the crusts with a cupping spoon. Then use the cupping spoon to dip into the coffee, which you slurp from the spoon.
It sounds totally weird but - well, yes it is totally weird. But fun! If you have never cupped before, we recommend checking out an online article or video tutorial - luckily there are tons! Just do a google search for "how to cup coffee".
cupping coffee tasting knowledge brewing expert motta kasuya espresso gear brewista amovee watchget hiware